14 May 2019
National housing campaign Everybody’s Home today called out the “fake news” media release reported by the media today that was targeting Labor ahead of Saturday’s election.
The release came from a fake group calling itself the “Victorian Housing Network” – a group that does not appear to exist.
Everybody’s Home is a national campaign supported by more than 25,000 Australians and more than 200 organisations across the housing, homelessness, community and local government sectors.
Everybody’s Home spokesperson Kate Colvin said the campaign is non-partisan and focused on urging all political parties to implement policies across the entire housing system that will ensure everybody in Australia has a home.
The campaign is calling all parties to:
- Develop a national strategy to deliver 500,000 social and affordable homes
- Reform negative gearing and capital gains tax concessions to investors to make it easier for home buyers to purchase a home
- Strengthen legislative protections for renters
- Increase Commonwealth Rent Assistance to provide immediate relief for renters, and
- Create a national plan to end homelessness by 2030.
Everybody’s Home will be releasing a report card on the housing policies of all major parties tomorrow.
“Housing and homelessness are real issues for people in Australia and must be a top priority for any new government after Saturday,” Ms Colvin said.
Media enquiries: Aliya Ahmad 0428 684 307