September 7, 2018
Win for Victorian renters – now all states and territories need to make renting fair
National housing campaign Everybody’s Home today urged all states and territories to follow the lead of the Victorian Parliament, which last night passed new laws to make renting fair for more than 1 million Victorian renters.
Everybody’s Home spokesperson Kate Colvin said the new laws were a huge win for tenants and will:
- Remove ‘no reason’ notices for eviction
- Limit rent rises to once a year and cap bonds to four weeks rent
- Give Victorian renters the right to have a pet
- Crack down on rental bidding
- Ensure every home meets basic standards so it is safe and livable, with functioning stoves, heating and deadlocks, and basic safety standards
“Everybody has a right to a home, whether they own the building they live in or not,” Ms Colvin said.“With so many people locked out of home ownership, 1 in 3 Australian households are renters and are getting a raw deal.
“These new laws will provide more stability and financial security for Victorian tenants and allow them to do simple things necessary to create a home.
“Congratulations to Victorian politicians for their leadership in supporting the reforms and for standing up for the rights of renters.
“We now need NSW, Queensland, South Australia and the other states and territories to get on board.”
Media enquiries: Jenny Stokes 0478 504 280