WHAT: Everybody’s Home, a national alliance of community, housing and homelessness organisations, will have spokespeople available for comment on the budget next week.
- • Budget Night 2 April: from 7:30pm – Professor David Adamson
- • Wednesday 3 April: from 6:30am – Kate Colvin
Everybody’s Home is calling on the Federal Government to rebalance the budget and invest in social and affordable housing so we can fix our broken housing system so that everybody in Australia has a home.
The way housing is funded in Australia is unfair. While investors are getting billions of dollars in tax concessions, like negative gearing, more than 800,000 Australians households are going without essentials like food, so they can pay the rent.
The Federal Government spends twice as much in subsidies for investors to build their property portfolios than it does on supporting renters and people facing homelessness.
Everybody’s Home is calling on the Federal Government to:
- • Wind back the negative gearing and capital gains tax concessions to investors that cost billions in lost revenue.
- • Use these savings to kick start investment in the 500,000 social and affordable rental homes desperately needed by Australians on low and middle incomes.
- • Increase funding for homelessness services so we can end homelessness by 2030; and
- • Increase Commonwealth Rent Assistance by $20 a week to reflect the fact that rents have skyrocketed across the country.
Media enquiries: Aliya Ahmad 0428 684 307