Ask your local candidates
to fix the broken housing system
Do you know what your local candidates plan to do about housing and homelessness if they’re elected? Here’s your chance to find out.
With the Federal Election just weeks away, we wanted to give you the opportunity to easily ask the candidates running for your electorate where they stand on the 5 key things we need to do to fix the broken housing system – so that come Election Day, you can make your vote count.
That’s why we’ve put together this simple tool, that allows you to enter your postcode and send your local candidates an email. Send them an email now to find out where they stand on housing and homelessness.
The five key things we’re calling on the candidates to commit to are:
- Support for first home-buyers, by setting the tax system to make it fairer for ordinary Australians wanting to buy a home.
- Develop a National Housing strategy to meet Australia’s identified shortfall of 500,000 social and affordable rental homes.
- A better deal for renters, by changing the tenancy laws to protect tenants against evictions, unfair rent rises, discrimination and landlords who refuse to maintain properties.
- Immediate relief for Australians in chronic rental stress, by increasing Commonwealth Rent Assistance.
- A plan to end homelessness, to halve homelessness in five years and end it in 10.